According to EU sources, 10% of electric energy consumed by households is for lighting purposes, whereas the percentages of energy consumed by business in the service sector for lighting is as high as 21%.
Energy saving light bulbs is an ecological solution. In Europe the incandescent light bulbs have been abolished and have been replaced by newer, more energy efficient and environmentally friendlier technologies of lighting.
The Solid State Lighting (SSL) with LEDs is by far the most innovative technology currently available and supports the ‘Europe 2020’ strategy.
The EU claims that by 2020 the energy saving will practically be equivalent to the energy needed to supply electricity to 11 million households per year, reducing at the same time the average household electricity bill by €25 per year.
What are the differences among the different types of light bulbs?
Incandescent light bulbs– When an electrical current passes through a wire, it causes it to heat until it glows.
Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFL) –Light is produced when electric current runs through a tube containing argon and a small amount of mercury vapour. This creates ultraviolet light, which then emits visible light.
LED bulbs-Light-Emitting Diodes (LED) are semiconductors. As electrons pass through these semiconductors they produce light. LEDs are more efficient in turning energy into light as less energy radiates from the bulb as heat. This is why LED bulbs are cooler during operation.
What are the benefits of LED technology?
- 80% more economic than the common type bulbs
- As efficient and even better than CFLs
- Safe to use- low temperature on their surface
- Safe for health- environmentally friendly- do not contain toxic mercure (Hg) and have low C02 emissions.
- Resistant to vibrations and shock-do not break or get ruined easily
- Low heat emissions-savings on air-conditioning load
- Durable for multiple on/offs compared to a CFL
- Long life: 25 times compared to incandescent, 3 times compared to CFL
- High quality lighting – dimming possibility and colour variations
- Instant lighting to their full potential- Contribute in well-being, vitality and concentration
Visit Epiphaniou Energy stores for more information and guidance on energy saving light bulbs selection.